Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving Prep!

Somehow this is our first time to plan a Thanksgiving meal since we've been married! The first year we had just gotten married and were at my parents house in Dickinson. The following year we had just gotten back form our trip to Australia and kept it simple. The year after that we were invited to our friends place in Taipei to celebrate. The next year I went on a girl's trip to Vietnam and Cambodia and Jim went to Colorado by himself. Then last year we were living in Houston and spent Thanksgiving at my parents again.

I'm a little sad we didn't get to do all the fun pumpkin patch pictures with Lily or dress her up in turkey outfits. Remember this from last year?


Those legs!! What a chunk!!

Anyways, this is what's on the menu for our Thanksgiving:

For breakfast:
Pumpkin Pancakes If this recipe turns out well, this may become a family tradition. It's no secret I love everything pumpkin!

For Dinner:
Turkey. I'm using this as a roasting guide: click here

Stuffing. This is a source of conflict in our marriage, and I've been able to avoid it until now. I grew up with white bread dressing (aka the best kind) and Jim grew up with corn bread dressing. So, I think I found a compromise thanks to the wonderful Pioneer Woman: click here

Mashed potatoes. No recipe, this one is easy!

Green Beans. I'm keeping this one easy and using the traditional cream of mushroom soup version, but subbing bread crumbs for the fried onions because we can't get those here.

Rolls. I'm going to try Pioneer woman again on this one. I've read her recipe for dough several times and it seams easy enough but I've never tried it: click here

Deviled Eggs. A tradition for me and super easy: Eggs, mayo and dried mustard with a little paprika. 

Pumpkin Pie. Nothing fancy, just using the recipe that was probably invented by Eagle Brand: click here

It's pretty much just the basics since it will only be a few of us (and our first time to make a lot of these things). My dad is coming and I invited our neighbors over that just moved in (they're American) and they might bring something as well. I just bought our turkey this morning since we don't have the freezer space to store it, so it will immediately begin the slow thawing process in the fridge and then the counter top. 

Well, I was going to post a few random pictures of our own little Punkin, but blogger is telling me I ran out of space for more pictures! Tragic! I'll go fix that stat (i.e. call Jim).

I'll be sure and take pics of all the food and let you know how it turns out! Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...