Sunday, May 20, 2012

At the Top - Burj Khalifa


While my mom was in town, Lily and I took her to the top of the Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world!) Luckily I figured out that the ticket prices are 1/4 the price if you buy them online instead of at the door; even then they are $30, but at the door they are $120!! I can't imagine paying that just to go up an elevator! It was barely worth the $30 we paid. 


After living in Taiwan and going to the top of Taipei 101 a handful of times, I can say the Burj Khalifa designers need to work on their "At the Top" experience. Taipei 101 has 2 gift shops, a cafe, an ice cream shop, an entire floor of jewelry and souvenirs, and an outdoor observatory. It also has a room that you can walk in and see/learn about the damper used to counteract the wind, and there are signs over every window telling you which buildings you are looking at, and which direction various cities are located. It just makes it more interesting. The Burj has a rinky dink gift shop and an outdoor observatory. No signs, no nothing. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that it's still a work in progress, but a note to our visitors: I will probably not be joining you on any future visits. I will take you there and wait in the mall, but it's just not worth another $30!


I heard somewhere that Dubai has the most skyscrapers in the world. I don't believe it because this is pretty much it.



Here you can see the river that runs around Burj Khalifa and the equipment for the fountains.


Me and Lily in the outdoor observatory. We didn't stay out there very long; it was 106 degrees that day!


You can see our apartment in this view. We're across the street from where the river ends in the middle of the picture. 

It's definitely a cool thing to do once, and I do appreciate that we live within walking distance (even in 106 degree heat) of this kind of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...